Monday, April 26, 2010

Gender-Neutral Toys


This picture was taken last night before Mommy, Daddy, and I left to go to a dinner with my playgroup.  As you can see, I looked good.  My corduroy jacket is a real eye-catcher.  It was the first time the playgroup got together "after hours" for dinner, allowing everyone (all the working mommies and daddies) to come.  "Everyone" included Mommy, who was finally able to meet my playgroup friends.  She approves of this particular peer network for me and will allow my participation in it to continue.  "It's good," she said to me after we left my friend's house, "that your friends are not only cute, but are clean and the pro-created products of successful parents."  During dinner, I was the only boy of five toddlers sitting around the kitchen table in our portable highchairs.  There was one other boy there, but his parents forgot his chair.  Too bad, I thought at first, but that left more ladies for me.  I had a great time playing with all of the hostess's toys.  She had a play kitchen that I played with and reorganized for about 45 minutes.  It was quite the deluxe kitchen, bigger and fancier than the one Daddy brought up for me this morning.  My "new" kitchen is another hand-me-down from my cousins.  Even though I was tired this morning and it was smaller, I still had a wonderful time playing with it.


Plans are already in the works to upgrade my kitchen a bit.  I'm still trying to decide whether I want granite or silestone countertops and stainless steel or black appliances.  I should probably go with black since my greasy, sticky hands will surly show on the stainless.  I'm considering my new kitchen a gender-neutral toy, even though it stands out amongst my John Deere equipment and other boy-suggestive toys.  It's probably important I become familiar with cooking, considering Mommy and Daddy's limited attention spans in the kitchen.  I doubt they have any problem with me donning a chef hat in the near future in order to prepare them and I some nice meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment