Monday, August 10, 2009

How I Learn (and Relieve the Pain)

How much did my gums hurt last night? Here, let me show you.

I was up for several hours very early this morning, restless and in pain. Mommy took the brunt of it during the first shift. Daddy took over for the second shift and I ended up falling asleep once the medicine and exhaustion finally kicked in. Last night was the first night in which my teeth really got to me. Here's what I don't understand. The fact is, babies are typically born with a full set of teeth. But instead of making their appearance from the beginning, they stay underneath the gums and slowly push their way through the gum tissue. Why can't I just have them now? Then it dawned on me as to why this might be. If I had teeth right now, poor Mommy would have to think twice before feeding a fussy, squirming, head suddenly turning to see what the dog is doing, baby with "biting" teeth. I guess the evolutionary gods got this one right, but I'll have to check one of my many how-to baby books for verification.

So for the past few months I've done what I can to relieve the pain. Fortunately, novelty is innate, and whatever new comes my way I grab it, look at it, and then put it in my mouth. When in my mouth, the object (such as Daddy's video camera), may serve as a teething device. Hey, whatever works.

No comments:

Post a Comment