Friday, October 16, 2009

"Mama"

I've always thought speaking and language would be easy. When I realized that people communicated with each other to get things I figured I'd join right in. I believed that I would learn language and speak it on demand as if the process were as simple as: "P...p...p...please pass the apples and milk," or, "Th...Th...Th...Theory of Relativity." You know, simple little sentences to express want and need and concepts such as those. It turns out that it takes more than that and a lot of practice and dedication. I have to work on making my sounds, listen to them, and repeat until I get them right. Daddy drills me throughout the day to say 'Da-Da' and very rarely 'Ma-Ma.' I can get the 'da' out but my main focus is the 'ma' sound for, you guessed it: Mommy. I was able to put 'ma' and 'ma' together a few times over the past week or so. The following clips are from this morning:

I like to say, "Mama," when she is not present but I wish to see her. That's when I speak it the clearest. It is my first word- no doubt about it. I would have it no other way. I am working on, "Onyx," but it comes out more as a short 'o' sound. Whenever I see him I say it. I'll work on you later, Daddy.

Tonight Mommy is throwing a small party for her friends. She demanded that Daddy and I clean up the house and make dinner and "not rest until we do." I believe that's what she said, anyway. I'm planning on being the main course of entertainment so I will nap immediately following the writing of this post. Daddy can do the work. I'm going to need my energy. It's not so easy being the cute, center of attention, but it does have its perks.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment