Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Teleportation

My trip to Connecticut reminded me to update Matthew's Mileage Spreadsheet. The numbers are staggering. Of trips over an hour one way, I have ridden in the car approximately 8,211 miles. Let me break this number down for you. As I am not quite eight months old, I average over 1,000 miles a month. Again, this does not include errands or small day trips. 8,211 miles is roughly one-third the distance around the equator. At this rate, I will have completed the equivalent of one trip around the earth around the time of my second birthday. I've spent almost 6 of my 231 days in the car.

You probably just think that I sleep the whole time that I'm in the car. You're partially right. From the time I was a newborn I fell asleep instantly in the car and woke upon arrival. It was like teleporting. I'd get in my car seat and suddenly I was somewhere else. Now, however, I'm not sleeping the entire ride, particularly if I'm hungry or not sleepy. I'll look out the window and talk with Mommy and Daddy, but for the most part I have to say that riding in the car is boring. Let's view this from my perspective. I, and everything around me that I can see, is the universe. I am of course at the center of that universe. I have no concept of distance from beyond what I can see (this does not include peekaboo). So why do people get in their cars and sit for hours at a time just to change the scenery. I can have someone walk me out the front door to do that!

Maybe it would be better time spent if Mommy and Daddy just let me drive. I'm really good at making different noises with this new steering wheel. I know I'm capable.

No comments:

Post a Comment