Thursday, October 22, 2009

Separation Anxiety

The two words every mommy dreads to hear: separation anxiety. Let me put this in the simplest terms possible (translation below).

Separation anxiety is when I realize that I am alone and do not want to be. I know that Mommy is "somewhere" but not with me. This may happen at 4 AM, like it has the last two nights. Just when Mommy and Daddy were getting used to all of us sleeping through the night I had to achieve grasping the early stages of this amazing cognitive concept. If separation anxiety is the reason then it's just beginning. If it's not the reason then I'm probably just teething and hungry, my tummy demanding a pre-pre-breakfast meal. Let's assume the former. According to one baby book, separation anxiety "usually peaks between ten and eighteen months and then fades during the last half of the second year." I'm not even eight months yet and I'm just starting this developmental stage. So I may have two more years of this and it's going to get worse? I did not sign up for this. I'll assume, Mommy, that you did. See you at 4 AM!

No comments:

Post a Comment